Wednesday 10 December 2014

Every Breaking Wave

“Afoot and lighthearted I take to the open road, healthy, free, the world before me.” 
― Walt Whitman

It's been two weeks since the major examinations are over, and all the leisure time I spent watching television and lazing around seemed to have blurred the dusty image of the nearing future. I have three months until the return of the results from Cambridge, and as far as it appears, that fateful day will inevitably come. I hope to embrace this fleeting life to the best I can.

Recently I decided to take up hand lettering as a hobby. I'm probably an amateur, but my attempts at it also serve as an encouragement for myself. The lettering of quotes or short phrases now fill up my time, and it dawned on me that this hobby somehow allows me to contemplate about life and understand how blessed mine is. I'm planning to update blog more seriously, and maybe attempting some other part-time jobs at the same time during this hiatus. I hope to share my lettering work with others. Perhaps I'll share book reviews and design ideas in this little space as well.  

At risk of sounding like a prissy 18-year-old after having a ruminative period, I do realise that now that we have all the time in the world, it's not about what we can do. We can do whatever we want. It is the decisions that we will make - the countless choices we have - that are most vital. We are our choices. There are innumerable opportunities and setbacks we've yet to face. It's going to be a thrilling adventure - wave after wave.


"Every breaking wave on the shore, tells the next one there'll be one more."

Though every wave will meet its end when it breaks on shore, there'll always be another wave following it.  As much as I'd like to think it's over, it's not. Our school days might end for the rest of our lives, but there's just so much more things to face - and these opportunities or challenges will reach all of us just as quickly and repeatedly as these waves reach the shore. Maybe all we have to do is embrace it and prepare ourselves for any possibilities of a tsunami.

As much as I enjoy lettering, I'd like to keep it as a form of 'play', and leave other things I enjoy for my daily grind (whatever it is, I haven't actually figured it out yet). Embarking on lettering and design has helped me understand what I intend to do for leisure and work. And like most people, I still worry about the future - where will I go, what will I be, how will I get there - but I'd like to stay positive and believe that regardless of any difficult times, we'll find strength in one another together through mere goodwill. After all, it's up to us whether we want to chase every breaking wave indefinitely.

Until next time! 

Lettering by me, Photo taken by me

No comments

Post a Comment